Oh wow. If you know me well, or really even at all, you know I have an obsession with queso. The hubs and I never pass up the opportunity to eat queso. We could live on chips and queso for the rest of our lives. We may have some intense digestive issues but I’m pretty sure it would be worth it. We. Love. Queso.
I have been on a quest for quite some time to make queso at home, which probably isn’t a great idea given how much I love to eat it and how little discipline or will power I have to make good food choices. Nonetheless, I press on. I also really loathe Velveeta. Something about the gelatinous nature of it makes me cringe when I ingest it. Don’t get me wrong, I have downed a mini crock pot of Velveeta, sausage, and Rotel in my day, I just worked hard not to think about it at the time.
Unfortunately, it seems that most of the recipes I find for homemade queso involve the blasted non-cheese product mentioned above. The ones that don’t, just don’t turn out for me. They are grainy or lack flavor or are wrong on every level of queso goodness. And cheese is expensive! We have wasted so much money trying to do this from scratch.
NOT ANYMORE. For your holiday weekend, I am thrilled to give you the world’s simples but also delicious, queso blanco made with real food! There are only five ingredients, you can pronounce every one of them, and none of them are new to you. Youarewelcomemyfriend!
There aren’t a lot of directions here. Chop up your pepper jack cheese.
Combine the pepper jack cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, while milk, and tomatoes with chilies in a saucepan or a mini crockpot. Heat on low, stirring occasionally until the mixture is completely melted and well combined.
Start dipping. Yum. You’re welcome.
Here are my top 5 favorite ways to use queso:
- Dip chips in it (duh)
- Drizzle inside quesadillas
- Layer with chips, meat and/or veggies of choice, shredded cheese, black beans and broil for 2 minutes in the top rack of the oven for the tastiest nachos you ever got to stuff your face with
- Drizzle over Italian beef sandwiches
- Drizzle over hamburgers
There you have it friends. Enjoy this amazing holiday weekend and go make some queso.
- 1 lb. pepper jack cheese
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies
- cilantro to taste
- In a slow-cooker or medium pot, combine the cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, Rotel, and about half of the milk.
- Turn heat onto low, and let the mixture heat until the cheeses melt and a smooth cream forms, stirring occasionally. Add more milk as needed.
- Once melted, serve immediately, or transfer to a slow cooker with a "warm" setting to keep dip warm and melted. Enjoy!
- I wouldn't recommend substituting low-fat versions of any of the dairy products, queso isn't a diet food. Just eat it and enjoy.