Before we start we need to have an understanding. Before you read this post, go ahead and just put away all those opinions and strongly held feelings you carry about processed food and healthy eating. This is party food. It’s delicious and easy, it will change your life. But not if you’re going to be all judgy judgy about it, so just don’t. We tend to follow the 80/20 rule for whole food/clean eating. This falls in the 20% category.
I learned about walking tacos at the Cinco de Mayo party a couple months ago, the one I took homemade sopapillas for. Yum. I’ve been waiting for a good excuse to make these ever since and lucky for me, Anna’s birthday provided just the occasion. There’s not a lot of cooking here and I even had some doubters in attendance but everyone became believers by the end. So here’s how you execute a walking taco.
Start with bags of chips. Lots of people like these with Fritos and I believe that is how the original walking taco was born. I don’t like Fritos and I bought a variety bag of chips instead. My favorite walking tacos are made with either nacho cheese Doritos or crunchy Cheetos. Cool ranch Doritos were also a huge hit.
Take your chips of choice and crunch them up a bit. Funny story….OPEN the bag before you start crunching or you’ll pop the bag. I should know. Walking tacos are a pretty clean food to eat, until it falls out the other end of the bag.
Add your toppings directly into the bag. A few things I think make walking tacos amazing vs. average. A yummy meat (I made taco beef but a yummy seasoned, shredded chicken would be good too). Black beans; all good things include black beans. This is fact. Queso. Yes, you can do shredded cheese but a delicious queso will take your taco from good to uh-freakin-mazing. Lettuce, sour cream, salsa, etc. are also all strong toppings to have available.
Give it a good stir….
Eat directly from bag.
And there you have it. A walking taco. No need to have a plate or even a place to sit. This is by far my best party food ever. I fed 14 adults and 14 kids for $100, including beer and soda. This was fruit, walking tacos ingredients, ice cream and cake (I made the cake), drinks, paper plates and plastic cups. Ike’s first birthday easily cost me twice this so I’m a happy camper. Enjoy!
- Assorted bags of chips (fritos, doritos, cheetos all work great)
- Some kind of seasoned meat, I used 3 lbs. of ground beef cooked in taco seasoning
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Queso (I used prepared queso blanco from the store and added a couple handfuls of shredded co-jack cheese, a couple spoonfuls of homemade salsa, and some piri piri seasoning (see www.savoryspiceshop.com )
- Homemade salsa (see post from last week)
- Black beans (I heated a couple cans of seasoned black beans or you can toss regular black beans in a pot with some cilantro and lime juice and heat)
- Sour cream
- Any other taco toppings you like
- Open the bag of chips, crunch the bag to break up the chips
- Add meat and toppings and mix to combine
- Eat straight from the bag
- Drink beer
- Repeat steps 3&4 until both taco and beer are gone