Holy awesome comfort food! I saw this recipe the other day on a website called Pinterest, maybe you’ve heard of it? It accounts for roughly 95% of my normal daily activity. The other 5% has recently been consumed with sitting on the couch, drinking something sugary, waiting for the baby to kick. Fun times. I made this the other night when Mr. Sweeter Thing wasn’t feeling good. I was so excited because I hadn’t planned to make it, I just happened to have everything in the kitchen to make it, and it turned out SOOO delicious! Mr. Sweeter Thing kind burst my bubble by reminding me what a broccoli weeny he is, so I have eaten this twice a day all week by myself but was perfectly happy to have it all to myself. That’ll teach Mr. Sweeter Thing to have food aversions. Only I’m allowed to have food aversions!
Before we get to this super easy recipe, let’s talk about cream of “anything” soup. So many recipes use a fabulous can of cream of “something” soup as their base, and for good reason. “Cream of” soups make for delicious dishes!! But I was out, all out, and was delighted to find that you can make your own “cream of” soup in like 10 seconds and with stuff that’s already in your kitchen! Even better, there’s no flour or soy in it, which is great if you have a gluten free-er AND a dear friend allergic to soy in your life. That’s right, I get both. Now I can make them creamy stuff like this and not make them sick. Win win. Plus, its gotta be way healthier to do it this way. So here goes…..
Combine cold milk (I used skim) and corn starch in a small pot and whisk until completely combined.
Add butter, chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Let it cook for just another minute, it’ll thicken right up. Mix in whatever your “cream of” soup is supposed to be, mushroom, chicken, celery, you get it. Voila….on to the rest of the recipe.
Let’s talk about quinoa. Have you jumped on the bandwagon yet? You should, it’s delish. I replace a lot of recipes that call for rice or pasta with quinoa because it’s packed with protein and is so good for you! It’s expensive if you buy it in small quantities but if you buy it off of Amazon or from Costco, you’ll get a much better deal! If you’ve never made quinoa before, it’s so easy. Just like cooking rice. Boil 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of quinoa you’re cooking. One cup of uncooked quinoa will yield two cups once its cooked. I always add chicken bouillon to my water to give it a little extra flavor. Let the water boil, add the quinoa and cook at a simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until the water is absorbed. If you look closely at the pic below, you can see the little white “germ” or ring that’s fluffed up from the quinoa, this is how you know it’s done.
Cook some chicken. I used two decent sized chicken breasts here, I’m thinking I had roughly two cups cooked chicken.
Finally, steam some broccoli. Like right in the bag in the microwave, let’s not complicate this. I chopped my cooked broccoli really fine for the broccoli weeny but it didn’t do me any good, next time I might try a different veggie in place of my beloved broccoli. Poor neglected broccoli.
Combine your cooked chicken, cooked quinoa, steam broccoli along with your soup, sour cream (or mayo…or greek yogurt….), shredded cheese, milk, a touch of sugar, pepper, and a dash of nutmeg in a big bowl.
Stir well to combine.
Spoon into a shallow, greased baking dish. I used my pie plate, for flare. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, until melty and bubbly. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers, makes excellent leftovers.
Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, & Quinoa Casserole
Recipe adapted from Eating Well Living Thin
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- One 10 oz can condensed Cream of Broccoli or Mushroom soup. Or make the one in this recipe (scroll to the bottom to find it). Cause it’s awesome.
- 2/3 cup sour cream (or mayo or greek yogurt….depending on how healthy you like to be)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, colby-jack, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon Splenda/sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups cooked broccoli, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups COOKED quinoa
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Combine everything except the parmesan in a large bowl and stir to combine
- Spoon into a greased, shallow baking dish. Lightly sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes until hot, melty, and bubbly.