Oh wow….I’m so thankful this week. So thankful. I’m thankful for the friends who came over to play this morning, for my in-laws who are coming to visit this weekend, for the root beer I’m sipping on right now, for figuring out FINALLY what I have had set wrong on my camera for weeks. OH! And for this recipe, this fabulous and yet so simple recipe. Cheeseburgers made in the crock pot. This recipe has made my top list of family meals as well as a fabulous meal to make for large get togethers, it will rival sloppy joes and italian beef.
Heat some olive oil in a large skillet on the stove top and add some onion. I used frozen chopped onion because they were 10 for $10 at Kroger this week, awesome. Cook for a couple minutes until onions are tender and add some minced garlic. And then add your ground beef and cook just until browned.
I used a slotted spoon to scoop my beef mixture into my crock pot; I wanted to leave behind the grease but didn’t want to minced garlic to get strained out. Add some milk, ketchup, mustard, and salt & pepper, stir to combine. Finally, added some cubed cheese. I used co-jack, it’s my favorite, but you could use sharp cheddar or even pepper jack if you wanted to kick things up a notch.
Cook on low for four hours or so, stirring every now and then so the cheese gets super melty and incorporated into the mixture. I served mine on toasted hamburger buns with a healthy side of tater tots. And lots of ketchup for dipping my tots in. Can’t have tots without ketchup. It’s a law, check it out.
Crock Pot Cheeseburgers
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 6 ounces co-jack cheese, cut into cubes + more for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes until tender and add garlic and ground beef, cooking until browned.
- Spoon into your crock pot with a slotted spoon and add salt, pepper, ketchup, milk, and mustard. Stir to combine
- Add cubed cheese and stir. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on toasted buns with your favorite hamburger toppings.